Tops Fitness and Rehabilitation provides first class physiotherapy for Parkinson’s in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. We have helped many of our clients manage their condition.
Parkinson’s disease is a condition in which part of the brain becomes progressively more damaged over many years (a progressive neurological condition).
The main symptoms of Parkinson’s are:
- involuntary shaking of particular parts of the body – known as tremor
- muscle stiffness that can make everyday tasks such as getting out of a chair very difficult – this is known as rigidity
- physical movements become very slow – known as bradykinesia
People with Parkinson’s don’t have enough of a chemical called dopamine because some nerve cells in their brain have died. Without dopamine people can find that their movements become slower so it takes longer to do things.
As well as affecting movement, people with Parkinson’s can find that other issues, such as tiredness, pain, depression and constipation, can have an impact on their day-to-day lives.
The symptoms someone has and how quickly the condition develops will differ from one person to the next.
While there is currently no cure for Parkinson’s disease, physiotherapy can help alleviate symptoms anad offer an improved quality of life and give you more opportunity to carry out your daily activities.
A detailed physiotherapy assessment will allow us to identify how Parkinson’s disease is affecting you and what your particular goals might be. We will then tailor a programme to support you in your management of this disease.
How physiotherapy can help:
- Keeping fitness levels up
- Improving or maintaining your muscle strength through exercise
- Maintain flexibility
- Maintain posture
- Maintain and adapt daily activities
- Advice on equipment, technology and wheelchairs
- Falls prevention
- Improve balance
- Maintain and improve effective breathing
- Provide support and advice to family and carers
Tops Fitness and Rehabilitation offers physiotherapy assessment, physiotherapy and an exercise facility where you can safely work to improve, maintain and manage your condition.
At Tops Fitness and Rehabilitation in Wakefield, we have highly experienced physiotherapists, who have a hands on holistic approach to therapy.
See http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/ for further information