Tops provides first class physio for muscular dystrophy, our experienced team have helped many of our clients manage their condition.
Muscular dystrophy and related muscular problems cause muscles to weaken. There are many different types of muscular dystrophy, and each affects different muscles. The severity of conditions and how they affect individuals varies greatly from person to person. Most conditions are progressive, causing the muscles gradually to weaken over time, and can either be inherited or occur out of the blue where there is no family history.
How physiotherapy can help:
- Minimise the development of contracture a and deformities through stretches,
- Postural management
- Advice regarding wheelchairs and seating
- Exercise to optimise muscle activity
- Provide information and advice re orthotics and standing
- Provide support, advice and teaching to carers and support workers about stretches, handling and exercise
- Monitor respiratory function and provide teaching for postural drainage and clearance techniques
Physiotherapy for people with muscular dystrophy is about the long term management which requires understanding of self management and pacing, as well as the recognition of when you require assistance. We will work with you and your support network to provides holistic approach that best helps you maintain a good quality of life.
At Tops Fitness and Rehabilitation in Wakefield, we have experienced physiotherapists who have a practical, hands on, approach to therapy.
Please see http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org for further information